Cleaning with Care – Coronavirus Outbreak
March 30, 2020 – I am writing today to let you know what we at Alberta Carpet & Furnace Cleaning are doing in response to the coronavirus in Edmonton. As of March 30, 2020, we have made the decision to continue to provide our customers with in-home cleaning services, but with added precautions for the safety of our customers and staff.
Additional Safety Measures We Have Added:
- Increased observation of staff health, and stringent sick policies
- High focus on hand washing and use of hand sanitizer
- Observing social distancing, and eliminating hand shaking
- Disinfection of equipment, tools and hand held terminals after every cleaning
- Increased use of PPE including gloves & masks when appropriate
- Increased frequency of disinfection of vehicle touch points
Requirements for Cleaning:
Most people in the Edmonton area continue to be healthy and free of the COVID-19 virus, however, we are taking extra precautions to screen our customers to ensure that our staff are not exposed.
- Let us know if you, or a close contact have travelled outside of the country within the past 14 days – we can re-schedule your appointment to ensure that you can observe the required self-isolation period
- Let us know if anyone in your home is self isolating or quarantined – we will re-schedule your appointment
- Let us know if you or anyone in your home have a cough, fever or respiratory symptoms – we will set your appointment to follow up in 2 weeks to re-schedule
Safety and the public good continue to be our priorities as we move forward, and we want to re-assure you of what we are doing to maintain a safe environment as we clean in your home. Our core purpose is “We Take Care of People” – now and through the days ahead, we are committed to this purpose.
Alberta Health Services continues to provide frequent updates, and they are taking increasing measures to prepare Alberta for the potential spread of the virus. We are monitoring information from Alberta Health Services very closely and will adjust our operations as the situation requires.
Current information is available here: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page16997.aspx
Sanitizing/Disinfecting Your Carpets & Ducts
Unfortunately, even at a time like this, there are companies who are willing to take advantage of fear and concern about the virus, and try to sell products with mis-leading information. There are certainly disinfectants available that can be applied to your ducts, however, COVID-19 does not grow in your ducts or get blown through the air by your furnace. It travels on droplets from coughs or sneezes, or it lives on surfaces that infected people have touched or coughed/sneezed/drooled on. So unless you have a person coughing into your vent before you rub your hand on the surface and touch your face, applying disinfectant to your ducts is not a measure we would recommend to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The same goes for carpets. In most situations, disinfecting carpets is unnecessary. When it comes to disinfecting your home, your best bet is to focus on high touch surfaces (such as counters, door knobs, light switches, and electronics).
We have a favour to ask. If you are unable to clean right now, instead of cancelling, we are asking you allow us to move your appointment 6 to 8 weeks into the future. At that time, we will reach out and re-evaluate, and decide whether to go ahead or to move it further out. This will allow us to prioritize your cleaning when you are ready, and hopefully get people working quickly when the risk subsides.
We remain committed to providing for your cleaning needs in a safe and caring way, now and into the future.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Alberta Carpet & Furnace Cleaning